photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

overly ambitious

Sometimes I can be a little overly ambitious without even realizing it.  Take today, for instance.  I decided that it was time to process the beets from our CSA box so I tried my hand at pickling them.




I only put up 5 pints, and Moonpie helped with the chopping, but it was a lot of work.  You know, on top of everything else...


Like the laundry I have been putting off for a while that needed to be done NOW, and the folding of laundry that I've been putting off that needed to be done NOW, and oh yeah, there's lunch to be made and children to be hugged and read to.  So yeah, maybe pickling beets could have waited for another day, but they are done and so pretty to look at!

(please excuse this horrible photo from my phone)


I used a recipe found in Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff.  It is a beautiful book and very informative.  This is my first time to use it and I found it to be easy to follow and thorough.  The little reminders to do things like wipe the rims are always helpful.  Because you know when you get into that frenzied moment of filling jars and getting them back into the water to process, sometimes you can forget the necessary steps!  I highly recommend this book to anyone new to canning or just wanting some new recipes to spice things up a little in the pantry.

1 comment:

City Sister said...

I love overly ambitious moments...I usually am disappointed in not accomplishing everything I want to but at the same time get lots done.