photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

banana almond smoothie {recipe}

I have been meaning to get back here more regularly to update about grain free living and recipes.  Homeschool prep is in full swing and is dominating my computer time!  But a family still has to eat, am I right?

Every morning for as long as I've had children we have eaten two breakfasts.  Breakfast one is fruit, and breakfast two is something more substantial.  Often times, breakfast one is a smoothie.  My favorite smoothie of late is banana almond.


I start with two handfuls of raw almonds.  Or if I am particularly on top of things, 2 handfuls of crispy almonds (however, right now I am not particularly on top of this thing!)


Throw in 3 to 4 frozen bananas.  I always use frozen bananas in my smoothies.  They taste less banana-ie and more like ice cream this way!  They also add that nice creaminess that is essential to a good, dairy free smoothie.


A couple of handfuls of baby spinach on top.


Then I add 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds.  I love hemp seeds and eat lots of them on salads and in my smoothies.  They are high in protein, fiber and Vitamin E,  contain all 9 essential amino acids, and have a balanced Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio.  There is a lot of power packed into these little guys!

This morning, after adding my seeds, Buddy requested some cocoa powder {for some health benefits of pure cocoa powder, read here} in the smoothie.  And since I can't resist a 6 year old boy in boxer brief undies, ever, I gave in.  I added some (fair trade) cocoa powder and then water to about half way up the bananas and blended it up.


This turned into a dessert smoothie!  The hemp seeds add a malty flavor to the chocolate, making it a little too rich for our morning tummies, but we did get about half way through.  It is delicious, and perfect for an afternoon snack.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Mmmm! I have never tried putting almonds in a smoothie, just almond butter. I made the exact smoothie (but with almond butter and no hemp) every few days last summer. I made one last week, but instead of almonds, I added half an avocado. Oh my, it was so creamy!

mandi said...

I love avocado in my smoothies too! So good!