photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Thursday, April 14, 2011

meanwhile, back at the ranch


As a child we spent a week every summer in the mountains of New Mexico.  Our half-way stop for the night was Amarillo.  
Texas is endless.
Or at least it seems endless when you start in Houston and make your way all the way up to the pan-handle plains.  Technically, it's about 12 hours.
Once you hit the pan-handle, the horizon goes on forever over the flat landscape.  That's why it's called "big sky country".  Really, you've never seen a sky this big.  And the sunsets- the best I've ever seen.  Anyway, back to the endless road trips of my youth.  The most welcome sight I had ever seen was the Cadillac Ranch welcoming us into Amarillo.


Cadillac Ranch is cool.  It's one of those things you just have to see to appreciate.  Imagine, if you can, seeing nothing for miles, and then all of a dither, 10 Cadillacs buried half way in the ground.
(I love the phrase "all of a dither" and I like to throw it in any time I can)

This was our kid's first trip to Cadillac Ranch.  I was so excited to share it with them!  We didn't just drive by- oh no- we got out and did some good ol' fashioned family fun.  You know- graffiti!  




Graffiti is highly encouraged at the ranch.  People leave behind their half full cans of spray paint for the next defacer.   Anything you paint will knowingly be painted over by the next passer by.  It's part of the circle of life.  




When you're here you feel like you are a part of something bigger.  An iconic, American road side exhibit.  A piece of history.  It's really cool.


John left behind our Middleman logo!


Remember the German tourists we saw at The Big Texan?  Well, they were here too.  It's too good to pass up.  

Too tempting to leave your mark.



4 comments:

affectioknit said...

That looks like so much fun...I so want to visit Cadillac Ranch...love the song too...

Amy said...

How fun!

What do your kiddos do in the car for such a long time? Just curious. When we drove to WA there were many movies shown to the boys, and much drawing all over their own little shirtless bodies with washable markers. As if they were going nutso.

Dressing up on Purim is just good old-fashioned fun, I think. Merry-making. To celebrate the story of Esther, and probably influenced by the Roman Carnival that happens in the Catholic tradition right before Lent, a big party, getting rid of all the yummy food and wine. Although, some rabbis in the Talmud talk about the miracles of the Purim story being disguised, so we disguise ourselves. Or so that Jews could give charity to all without any being embarrassed, at the party, because you ideally didn't know who anyone was. I'm sure there are other infused reasons. Ok, my boys are fighting...I must go.

(But, they are taking longer and longer to start fighting when playing alone. It is sweet.)

Miss you guys.

Heather Mattern said...

What fun! I love that graffiti is encouraged. I want to go!!

angie said...

this looks like such fun! So different than things here in Maine. I've only been to that part of the country twice, I hope to get back with my kiddos in the next couple of years. glad I found your blog!