photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

a little bit country


Ok. A LOT a-bit country.
Our early departure from Palo Duro led us straight into the arms of all things kitsch.
The place where men are made and boys leave in tears (and with indigestion).



The Big Texan Steak Ranch!  (that's right- I said "ranch".  Not house!)

I remember eating here as a kid/teenager on our way to New Mexico.  This restaurant/theme park is located right on route 66.  It is a mecca for international tourist wanting to live the American road trip dream.  I would cringe thinking that is what the world thinks Texas is.  People eating 72 ounce steaks on a stage in under a hour.  Music on a six song loop featuring the Oak Ridge Boys and any song mentioning Amarillo.  Which oddly, are a lot.




But there was no cringing this time.  Oh no!  I reveled in introducing my children to this one of a kind place.  



And they fell right into place with no prodding from me whatsoever!  Miss Moonpie declared that she was going to have a steak.  Umm...ok.  All food rules out the window.  We're in West Texas dangit!




We ate, and laughed, and sang along to "Elvira" (ok, maybe that was just me), and all around had a great time.  I didn't even feel the need to go tell the table of German tourists next to us that this isn't really what Texas is like.  That there are cities here.  That there is incredible culture and music and art here.  But that's not the Texas they wanted to see.  They wanted this.  The Texas that's in the movies.  Big sky.  Cowboy hats.  Meat.  

Lots and lots of meat.

3 comments:

Jana said...

I am so laughing at this. Where else can you eat snake, buffalo, and rabbit all one plate??

amanda {the habit of being} said...

wow! i totally forgot about that place but as a child we made the same stop driving from southeast texas to new mexico. i remember being about 10 and being a bit embarassed by all the kitsch ;-)

Aleesa said...

Lol! We pass by there every time we drive to Colorado. I am always curious but never had the nerve to stop. However, that is all changing now that I know they play the Oak Ridge Boys. Finally, somewhere where I can belt out "Elvira"! I used to sing that like crazy as a kid.