photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

peace

advent day 2


peace


sunday night we celebrated the second day of advent. the focus of the week was peace. to set the atmosphere we turned off the lights and ate by candlelight. this led to a very quiet dinner- what a change! we read our scripture, sang 'i've got peace like a river', and then john led a craft. i was so impressed with his preparation! my heart was full as i sat and watched as he led moonpie in her sewing craft (buddy had fallen asleep before dinner). we talked about how true peace is not the absence of conflict, but rather completion. when relationships are complete, or whole, there is peace.

what a lovely evening.





our feast: one local omelet and apple turnovers



moonpie sewing her dove with daddy

John 14:27 (The Message) 25-27"I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught. (from www.biblegateway.com)

7 comments:

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

How lovely! What Advent stuff are you guys using?

We started a little late this year. Mainly because for the first time in my life ever I heard about Advent this year and actually knew what it was.....I grew up a sheltered baptist and these things we did not speak of. Sad isn't it?

But, what a blessing it has been to our family this year to take a step back from the business that encompasses Christmas and focus deeply on Christ.

Thanks for sharing!
Lyns

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Should be "busyness" not "business". I'm hoping that nobody looks at Christmas as "business". Opps!

mandi said...

hey lyns-
we are not using any real guide. we did some research over the origins of advent (the 4 sundays leading up to christmas) as implemented by martin luther. we chose to do this way because i didn't really think i could have a full blown advent lesson for 24 days in a row. i know myself too well! john has been finding scripture to go along with the topic of the day.
funny, i was raised baptist too, but we always lit advent candles in church. maybe because my dad was in charge! i just thought everyone did it!: )

Kellybird said...

such a lovely post. what a wonderful tradition to start... i too grew up baptist and don't remember ever hearing anything about advent... doesn't mean it wasn't mentioned :)

i will be doing research for sure.

Steph said...

yes, i love what you are doing. just before advent started I tried think of ways to celebrate advent with Braelyn, but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. you guys have nailed it spot on. next year, i may do some collaborating with you. i love your candle holders, the craft...awesome!

and hey...john has a beard!

johannapule said...

I love that you guys do advent :) We are in the 3rd week and what we talk about most is being patient and loving. It is our main theme, well that is what I am getting out of it. Anyway, your dinner looks fantastic and the little one seems very at peace :)

Mandy said...

Who's Moonpie's daddy? I thought it was John, but he doesn't have a beard!