This year we are staying home for Thanksgiving. Even though it seems like Birdy has been with us forever, we know that it has really only been a month since she came home with us. Because of this we wanted to keep the day here in her home, so she would feel comfortable and at ease. We have some dear friends joining us, but it will be a small get together over all. Just the seven of us.
This is Birdy's first Thanksgiving and our first with her. What a wonderful day! So many things to be thankful for!
I am beginning meal prep today. Here's what's on the menu this year:
- smoked turkey- so excited to have John take over turkey duty this year! And to have a free oven with no big bird to work around! We are using this recipe.
- fresh green beans
- roasted brussel sprouts (the Barnard family favorite)
- cranberry sauce
- baked sweet potatoes- I may make a modified sweet potato casserole with pecans on top or just the baked sweet potatoes with some toppings on the side
- potato rolls- I'll modify this recipe a bit with whole flours
- sweet potato pie
- maybe some apple pie cookies
- my friend is bringing the cornbread dressing. Nothing says Thanksgiving to me like cornbread dressing!
What is your #1 favorite Thanksgiving food? The one that if missing, would make Thanksgiving feel like any other (albeit really large) meal?
(I just asked John this question and he said green bean casserole. Oh dear! May need to try this recipe this year!)
Happy Thanksgiving Friends!
ps- need a craft for the big kids this year? These are crazy fun!!!