photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Thursday, August 2, 2012

butter's better



Get excited!  Organic Valley's Pasture Butter is currently in stores, and it is delicious!  This is a seasonal product, only being sold from May- September (because that's the peak of the pasture growth) so buy it while you can.

This rich, yellow, creamy butter is not only 100% better tasting than normal better, it is way better for our bodies as well.  Pastured butter (butter from cows that are grass-fed) is higher in Omega-3's than regular butter.  And the O-3's are classified as EPA and DHA, the same fats found in fatty, cold-water fish.  Pastured butter is one of the best sources of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), along with grass-fed meat and milk.  It has higher beta carotene levels and Vitamin E than regular butter, making it a great source of antioxidants.

If you can't find pastured butter in your area, consider making it yourself!  If you have a source for local milk, you can get what you need to make butter at home.  If this isn't a viable option either, it is still best to get organic butter when the budget allows.  Pesticides tend to build up in fat, and butter is just pure, delicious, good for you, fat!


Please tell me, have you tried this butter?  Are you making your own?  Or do you even eat butter?

6 comments:

Rosie_Kate said...

Oh, I so wish I could find that around here! Maybe I could order it from my co-op, but I'm thinking it's crazy expensive... I'm a butter-aholic and it's hard to find good stuff. My part of the country just doesn't get it...

Traci said...

I have never bought this one due to price....I buy HEB organic and its fine, however, this may have to be a treat for us next groc run...we can sit and eat a whole stick, half cup, with crackers..I confess, sometimes its just me that can eat half a stick of butter with crackers, before dinner...while weilding a glass of Pinot and cooking...

Michelle said...

We buy that butter to use for "spreading" only.

We can't afford it for use in cooking or baking because the cost is prohibitive, but on a piece of toast or a baked potato - divine!

We've also just started making some of our own butter from our goats milk. The only trouble there is, because goat's milk is naturally homogenized, you don't get a lot of free-floating cream per gallon of milk.

Amy said...

So, Traci, your pre-cooking activity sounds right up my alley.

Sometimes I wait to cook until I am too, too hungry, and I find myself just eating pastured butter straight-up. (no crackers)

Mandi, of course I love me some organic valley pastured butter...I am pretty sure Laith and Noni have a pastured-dairy sensitivity (facial breakouts post-consumption), so I need to remove it. We do raw milk, of course, regularly, and I'm wondering if I should remove that, too, to be extra cautious, and then slowly work raw dairy (maybe goat's first) back in.

What do you think?

Amy said...

whoops. hahaha! I meant pasteurized-dairy.

Wouldn't that be funny? "My kids can only eat dairy from grain-fed animals..."

Zach had a co-worker once who said she could only eat white bread because she was allergic to wheat, the grain. I wanted to go find that lady myself and straighten her out.

Tammie said...

You had me at butter