photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Thursday, November 4, 2010

calendula

me- utterly excited!
 I bought myself a whole flat of calendula today!  That's 20 plants, thank you very much!  If I had to choose just one perfect flower, it would be calendula (with zinnias coming in a close second).  Calendula is both useful and beautiful.  They like to be picked on, every time you pull off a flower head, more grow.  When I dead head the plants I infuse them in olive oil.  With my infusions I make balms, salves, and I'm hoping to make some lip balm soon.  I'm going to be posting on the specifics of this project very soon.

I have never seen so many varieties of calendula.  I bought some Yellow Pacific, Pink Sunset (my favorite), Orange Porcupine, Yellow Pom-pom and Orange Pom-pom.


I saved one of the Pink Sunset variety and put it in an old pumpkin can.  I'm passing it on to my dad for his birthday (along with those onion shoots).  Because really,  what good is all that beauty if you can't pass it on?


5 comments:

Rosie_Kate said...

Oh, I love calendula! This year I grew a variety called "Indian Prince" and it's gorgeous. And here it is, November with many hard frosts on us, and it's still going strong!

The Farmers Nest said...

Oh boy I can't wait for you to share those recipe's!

Amanda said...

My herbs have all sorts of lovely recipes for calendula, but the marigolds I've seen sold around here don't look anything like yours. They're darker orange, uniform, and bring to mind long strips of cement. I'm going to have to find a source for real calendula...

Nicola said...

Oh, I should do that! Beautiful and useful. Your photos are gorgeous in this post!
Nicola

Mandy said...

Ellie just made some calendula lip balm. It was fun!