photo h1_zpsac84397a.png  photo h2_zps4198f83b.png  photo h3_zpsfb878775.png  photo h4_zpsb401ec6b.png

Friday, April 24, 2009

favorite book friday

for the mama:




Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching Heather Ross

this book has been receiving lots of praise on various blogs so i was eager to check it out for myself. picture with me if you will one hour alone with your husband, climbing the steps of the largest independent bookstore in texas, a stack of books tucked under your arm. weekend sewing was just one amongst many in that stack. but truly, it was the only one that had enough interesting projects in it to make me want to buy it. i am notoriously cheap and therefore have never bought a sewing pattern book. but this one is worth it! it is the next step i needed in my sewing. i am for sure at a point where i need some instruction and this book has it. everything from knowing how to choose the right fabrics for a project to how to 'true' the fabric once you go to use it. the small tips on each project are hugely helpful to me.

i am eager to start my first project- a shirt for my little buddy. and then on to something for myself- a dress? perhaps a shirt? let's be honest- it's gonna be those pajama pants!

for the kids:

we checked this little book out from the library based on the cover alone. i am always on the search for good books with a boy as the lead character. and this one is great. the focus is really on the boat and its adventures, but you learn on the first page of the cleverness of the boy- he has built the boat himself out of found materials (a favorite theme around here!) and loves his little creation. after the boat is accidently set free the boy waits for him on the shore until his eventual return. sweet book- or as buddy says 'petty tool' (that's 'pretty cool' for those of you that don't speak buddy).





4 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, I ALMOST bought Weekend Sewing last week! But it was more than my giftcard, and I bought a sewing book six months ago that I haven't used yet... but I'll keep it on my list!

Kat said...

Thanks for the reviews, I just put them both on my wishlist at the library!

Aleesa said...

Matt loved Toy Boat. We haven't checked it out since we moved. Another good sewing book that I found at my library was InStitches by Amy Butler. So far I have made an apron. I cannot wait to see your creations.

Amanda said...

Goodness, Mandi, I hadn't even heard about the swine flu! Do I need to stop making bacon? Please say no! LOL. As far as emotional weeks go, I think a lot of people have been feeling it lately. My mom and sis would say it's in the stars. They read that sort of thing. God made the heavens, and He wrote His story in them, so why not? Blame it on the stars and hope for better ones next week! :)