Tuesday, January 22, 2013

essential oil specifics



Essential oils can be loosely classified into five categories.  There are the alcohols, phenols, aldehydes, ketones, and esters.  There are other categories as well, but I will not go into detail here.  I have recommended some resources at the end of yesterday's post, if you are interested to learn more about the science behind the oils.


Alcohols-  antiviral, antibacterial, immune stimulants, hormone balancing, non-irritating

Phenols-  antibacterial, antifungal, immune boosting, central nervous system (CNS) support, antidepressant

Aldehydes-  antiviral, anti-infalmmatory, skin irritant, calming to CNS

Ketones-  sedatives (should be used with great caution around children and by pregnant or nursing women- personally, I would avoid use with these two groups)

Esters-  antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, calming, gentle on skin


Before listing some specific oils I want to over emphasize the importance of using therapeutic grade essential oils.  Cheaper oils are not safe to be used medicinally.  It is also important to remember that while herbs are natural, they are still medicine and the improper use of them can be serious.


Singles (in reference to single oils, not blends):

Chamomile (Roman or German)-  ester
anti-inflammatory, digestive aid, calming
possible uses-  eczema, skin irritations, gastric ulcers, morning sickness, nausea

Clary Sage-  ester
relaxing, estrogen like, regenerative
possible uses- PMS, stress, to facilitate labor
SHOULD NOT BE USED IN EARLY PREGNANCY OR CANCER

Clove Bud- phenol, ester
antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, immune stimulant, uterine stimulate
possible uses-  toothache, flu, viral hepatitis, long labor
SHOULD NOT BE USED BY PREGNANT WOMEN OR THOSE WITH HYPERTENSION

Eucalyptus
anti-inflammatory, expectorant, antibacterial, antifungal
possible uses-  Candida, coughs, respiratory tract infections, colds, flu, asthma, headaches
SHOULD NOT BE USED BY VERY YOUNG CHILDREN

Frankincense (I am fascinated by this EO!  It has been used for over 5,000 years!)
anti-asthmatic, immune support, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial
possible uses- nervous depression, immune booster, asthma, rheumatism, injuries, scars, to slow tumor growth
In our home we have used Frankincense for mole removal, cyst reduction, and an immune booster.
*has also been found to inhibit bacterias such as E. coli, staph, and primarily Listeria monocytogenes
This stuff is powerful!  Definitely research this oil more!

Lavender (one of my favorites- we use almost daily)
anti-inflammatory, relives tension, analgesic, antifungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, balancing, calming
possible uses- almost endless!  We have used for headaches, ant bites, anxiety, bruises, skin infections, migraines, pulled muscles.  Can be used for irregular menstrual cycles, coughs, hypertension, sleeplessness.
Every home should have a bottle of lavender on hand!

Lemon
antiseptic, digestive aid, liver stimulant (great for detoxing), calming, antiviral
possible uses- in water as a powerful detox, nerve related indigestion, can be used topically but avoid UV exposure

Peppermint
stimulant, strengthening, digestive aid, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti fungal, antiviral, expectorant, soothing
possible uses- motion sickness, nausea, poor digestion, headaches, bronchitis, fever, colic, vomiting
SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH INFANTS OR YOUNG CHILDREN, or NURSING WOMEN

Sage - ketone
strengthening, estrogen like, digestive aid, antibacterial, antiviral, anti fungal, diuretic, emmenagogue (increases menstrual flow), expectorant, nervine
possible uses-  flu, fever, hot flashes, night sweating, poor digestion, cold sores, UTI, irregular cycles, cough
SHOULD NOT BE USED IN PREGNANT/NURSING WOMEN, OR BY CHILDREN

Blends
I prefer to uses those blended by Heritage Essential Oils.  You may be able to find similar blends by the companies Young Living or doTerra.

Plague Defense- used in flu prevention (I am currently diffusing this daily in the house and rubbing it on feet as we venture out into the world), can also be used in flu treatment

Warrior- to be used as an antibiotic would be. Not used in prevention, used after an illness has been contracted.

Solace- calming and hormone balancing

Sunshine- keeps adrenal glands open and well functioning, great for times of stress

Peaceful- we use this nightly on Birdy's feet to ensure good rest, and to calm and support her CNS.  I've also used to help with anxiety or sleeplessness in all of us!

Digestion Support- stomach virus, indigestion

We use other blends here and there, but these are on constant rotation in our home.


I hope this very short list is helpful!  Please do your own research and find which oil is most useful for you!  The Heritage website is full of helpful information.

Please tell me, what oils do you use in your home and for what ailment?  I love to learn from all of you!

If you have any questions please ask in the comment section- I will do my best to answer anything I can, or point you to another resource.  I will answer in the comment section.



Most of this information I learned through my Master Herbalist Coursework.  Vintage Remedies also offers courses in Aromatherapy and essential oils.  If you are interested in doing coursework, I highly recommend their programs.  Click here for more information:





disclaimer:  I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  I have had extreme success with essential oils in my home, but I cannot prescribe or guarantee them.  Please use at your own risk and seek out the help of a professional if needed.

I am a student, and an affiliate with Vintage Remedies.  Any purchases you make on their website goes to support my family.  Thank you!

8 comments:

Rosie_Kate said...

I love essential oils, but at the same time, I'm SO chicken about using them. They're just so... POTENT. I have a very few common oils that I use regularly (lavender, eucalyptus, etc. I also LOVE Young Living's Valor)) but sometimes they just seem so strong and agitating, so I'm very cautious. I recently made a blend for my kids' respiratory issues, but then it made ME not feel very good, so I didn't want to use it on them... I just tend more toward homeopathy because it seem so much safer.

However, I'm very intrigued by your blend suggestions, and I think I'll look into trying some of those. Thanks!

mandi said...

Rosie-Kate-
You are so right! They are very potent! I almost always dilute with a carrier oil. And always, always when I use on the children. One drop of EO packs a big punch!

Mandy said...

Perfect timing! I was just wondering what you thought about EOs. :) Thanks for the great info! I have tried Heritage Oils and really like that company.

Suzanne said...

I am still on the fence between this course or Rosemary Gladstar's. How do you like this so far? Do you feel it is "meaty" and the personal touch is there? Thanks:-)

Becky said...

just so you know - i'm now obsessed and barely know what to tackle first. so many of my friends have been raving...but i need that extra nudge. i actually read this a bit ago, thought about it during yoga and immediately came home and started digging through their website. i'll let you know what i start with and how it goes. hope all is well and best wishes!

Alice said...

I have always been fascinated by essential oils and their use! Also, I am using the Vintage Remedies "Natural Wellness" program as part of my 15 and 13 year old's science this year (self study). If I could find a few more hours in my days, I would not mind taking more of their courses. Good stuff!

Krista English said...

I recently bought German Chamomile mail order, and was surprised by its strong scent. I am not sure how to use it, though I did buy it for skin rash problems and sleep. It smells slightly like a skunk to me though. How do you use this one do you know?

Unknown said...

Hi Mandi - I'm a friend of Tami's we've met a couple times...hope you're well. Thank you for this post. I'm very new to EO and am trying to incorporate them more into our world. So far I've only dabbled in skin care for myself and have been very pleased. I'm interested in using them to aid in our families overall health and cold/flu prevention as we head into the winter months. I have no idea where to start. I'm feeling like a diffuser would be a simple first step but am not sure what oils to begin with. Any and all thoughts you have on this would be very welcome. Or if you can simply point me in some direction of additional reading, I'd really appreciate it. There is so much out there and I consider you a trusted resource. Thank you so much, Regina